Wednesday, February 21, 2007

So far, my experiences with the Italian health-care system are as follows:

1) I had a headache (read: hangover). Having no idea what brand-name medicines were available, and didn't know how to say "pain killer" in Italian, so I asked at the pharmacy for "something for a headache." I gained no confidence in my Italian skills, but I did get some Ibuprofen.

2) I need a "certificato medico" to be able to do Judo. Or play any sport at all in Italy. Why make something simple when it could be complicated instead? So I go to the English-speaking doctor's office, because, let's face it, if I can't ask for Advil in Italian, how am I going to be able to answer in-depth questions about my health? This particular doctor's office only has office hours from 11-12 and from 5-6 everyday, but I don't know that. I try calling for an appointment, but don't get through. (Surprise! There's no one in the office!) So I go in during what I know are their walk-in hours (and what are in fact their only hours), and after being treated rudely by the receptionist, get to meet with a doctor who asks me whether I have a history of heart disease, whether I have high blood pressure, and my age (twice). Then, to make sure I'm telling the truth, she listens to my heart, takes my blood pressure, and tells me I'm healthy. It costs 40 Euro, which is apparently the "special price for students," even though she doesn't need any proof that I'm a student. I have to pay in cash, which she puts directly in her wallet, while spending a very long time trying to make it clear to me that this certificate won't be good enough if I want to go to the Olympics. Damn.

3) I bought a decongestant today. I also didn't know how to say decongestant, so I asked if they had Sudafed or anything like it. I got the store brand, and I think it worked? Then when I took another one today, and didn't have any water with me, I discovered that they don't coat their pills here. I spent the first half of my class looking like I was about to vomit.

What all this leads up to is that I may have a cold, but right now I'm just thankful I'm not really sick. What I mean is, I'm extra-thankful that I don't need an Italian organ transplant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, too bad that doesn't clear you for the Olympics, you'd be the coolest one of us by FAR! Good luck on avoiding the transplant, "Surprise!" is probably not the greatest reaction to one.